Monday, March 10, 2014

New work for 2014 and upcoming exhibitions

I am very happy to share that I will be showing my Locusts installation next month for the opening of Wild Things at Sweetwater Center for the Arts in Sewickley, PA. There will be an opening reception on Friday, April 4 at 6pm.



I'm also in an upcoming show this summer at S P A C E Gallery about the concept of pattern, curated by Kristen Kovak. I have been working with the theme of window-collision fatalities in birds that live in and migrate through cities and will be expanding on these concepts in this show. Below is a shot of some kinglets:

The idea of exploring window collisions actually started years ago, when I began finding birds that had died or been injured by flying into the glass entryway at my job. Like all dead birds, they seemed tragic and beautiful, and the deaths mysterious and senseless until I read more about why birds don't see glass and windows the same way people do. (If you are interested, FLAP, or the Fatal Light Awareness Project, has a lot of good information.) I had amassed a "collection" of photos of these casualties and produced a large-scale drawing this year as a way of cataloguing their passings and exploring the analogies to misperceptions and tragedies in our own human lives.






The birds are painted with a combination of gouache, watercolor, ink, and graphite, and the finished drawing is roughly 30 by 40 inches.



No comments:

Post a Comment